Saturday, September 12, 2009

New Companionway Hatch

The companionway hatch that came with the boat was in rough shape. The lower starboard corner had rotted away, and the finish was shot. The original board also left a small gap between the board and the sliding hatch. It seems to me that this was done on purpose to allowed a little extra ventilation.


From Misc Boat Stuff

I know it wasn't the best choice, but I went with oak plywood. The boat spends 98% of it's time in my garage, so I think it should hold up OK. I used the old one as a template, but made the new one 1/2" taller. Fits nice and tight.


From Misc Boat Stuff

One week, a coat of stain, about 10 coats of spar varnish, and some silicone around the screws for the hasp and I've got a new hatch board that will keep the water out and looks a lot better than what was there before.


From Misc Boat Stuff

I think it turned out good, but nothing like a new piece of brightwork to make the rest of the boat look old and tired!

No comments:

Post a Comment