Friday, October 23, 2009

A Lifes Work - S/V Restless

Bob Kingsland spent 28 years building Restless, a 50 foot 40,000 lb steel sailboat. One of his his college aged daughters, who was not alive when he started the project, helped put pictures from the build on a website, S/V Restless. I like boats, and I love sailing, but this boat is more than just a sailboat, it's a life's work. The boat, the workmanship, the quality, is astounding. His philosophy for the build was, "One of my primary objectives was to see something that made me smile every place my eye came to rest. As a result, not a square corner exists anywhere in the boat, neither in the metal work nor woodwork." It's no surprise he has a degree in anthropology because this boat will outlast him by a decade, and says more about the builder than it says about design or utility.

No comments:

Post a Comment